Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Taking A Time Out

It seems like our lives are so busy these days with a to-do list that's longer then my arm. I often have to stop and remind myself to slow down and enjoy the things around me. I'm always reminding myself its the little things that matter to my family. Yes, getting things accomplished is important but not at the expense of ignoring my family.
Our boys love to skateboard and they love for us to come outside and watch them. Since my husband is now working late each evening I've been making more of an effort to go out and do nothing but sit and watch and okay be a cheerleader for them.
This past evening our youngest (our daredevil) fell and hurt his leg. When we came in I said, "Why don't you get in the shower (which was followed my moaning and the wonderful words Mommmm) then those words of moaning ceased when I followed up with, "While you're in the shower, I'll make a batch of brownies!" Then it was "REALLY!! You're the best Mom ever (followed by a big hug)!!! Then all the shower blues vanished and life was happy again, the shower did have to wait until he cracked the eggs for me, since that;s his favorite part of cooking!
We work hard on communication with the boys and times like this encourages them talk and talk and talk. I often find out things that I did not know and hear about dreams and goals I did not know they were considering. Take time today to do something special with your children. You'll be surprised what you might learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment