Friday, October 16, 2009

Mexican Casserole

I could eat Mexican food everyday, okay maybe not everyday but at least every evening! This recipe came from a cookbook we received when we were married. It was from our church Cook Baptist Church in Ruston, Louisiana. Its one of those recipes that I have changed several times but this is the final recipe that my family loves. When I make it, I always make a double batch. I make one to eat and one to freeze for a later date. Its also a great recipe to make in mini loaf pans. I like to do this too and give a few to my Mom and an elderly couple in our neighborhood. I hope you enjoy it too!

1 pkg Flour or Corn Tortillas (taco size)
2lb Ground Beef (cooked and drained)
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 cup Water
2 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix
3/4 cup White Onion (chopped)
1 can Ro-Tel Tomatoes
1 can Pinto Beans (undrained)
1 can Black Beans (undrained)2cups of Cheddar Cheese

Add browned/drained ground beef back to pan, add garlic powder, chili powder, water, taco seasoning, onion, Ro-Tel and beans. Simmer 10 minutes. While mixture is simmering lightly grease a casserole dish and layer with 4-5 tortillas. Add half of ground beef mixture then top with 1 cup of cheese, repeat layering. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and baked 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes.

Note: In this photo I made it in the slow cooker. Just add your slow cooker liner then layer in cooker like you would in baking dish. Top with cheese and slow cook until ready to serve.

Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce, topped with sour cream, salsa, chopped onion and fresh tomatoes. I like to serve with tortilla chips, salsa and a slice of avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment