Friday, October 23, 2009

Its A New Day

Do you ever have time in your life when the Lord deals with you on a certain subject? I know I do and when He speaks to me I consider it a privilege and an honor and I want to do all I can to “clean up my act”. This week the Lord has really been dealing with me about my words. It started last week when I over heard a very well dressed, very proper looking Mother talking to her 10-12 year old son. We were in a store and this young man was showing his Mom a toy he found. I heard the Mom say to her son, “Put that back on the shelf, I would never buy that ARE YOU STUPID OR WHAT!” In an instant you could see the young mans shoulders drop, his self worth go right on the shelf with the toy and tears well up in his eyes and I am sure a few blocks of own resentment and bitterness were added to his wall. Oh, my heart broke for that young man. I wanted to put my arms around him and encourage him and tell him no, he is not stupid. I thought to myself what harsh words coming from the one person who should be his cheerleader, the one person who should be on his side, the one person who when the world hurts him she should be the one who is there encouraging not one that is throwing the bricks too. When I see things like this happen in public I always wonder what horrible things are happening in private. I don’t know what happen between that Mother and child for her to have so much anger and bitterness against him but it really put a burden in my heart to watch my words. No, I may never say such horrible despicable words to my children but do my words always encourage, do my words always build up? I am sad to say the answer to those questions is no.

This evening I was listening to a woman speak and she talked about how God chose to take her 17 year old son home to be with the Lord just two months ago. She talked about how just three days prior to him going home with the Lord she called and left him a message on his phone telling him how much she loved him and how he was such a blessing to their family. It brought tears to my eyes as I thought back to the young man I saw earlier in the week and wondered if anyone told that young man he was loved, if anyone put their arms around him and told him how proud they are of him. Then I began thinking about myself and wondered how many times this week I got angry or fussed for really no reason. How many time did I tear down and not build up. Have I been an encouragement to my children this week? Have I been a encouragement to my husband this week? The verses that we teach our children have been going through my mind…

Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Psalm 19:13
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

As hard as it was to see that young man go through the wrath of a hormonal mother, it has been an eye opener for me this week and a reminder that words hurt and cut to the bone. I don’t want to be that type of Mom or that type of wife. Today is a new day, today is a day to build up and not tear down. Today is day for a fresh start and today is a day for me to appreciate what God has given me and rejoice and be glad in it. I hope today will be a new day for you as well.

Psalm 118:24
This is the day which the LORD hath made; we (I, Rachel) will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment