Sunday, July 11, 2010

Homemade Salsa

Just like last year we were blessed with some yummy garden vegetables and I've had a few people ask me how I make my salsa so I decided to post the recipe again. I did make a few changes and this year we were also given tomatoes, cucumbers and squash which I added to the batch of salsa. The fresh veggies came just in time because I just opened the last jar of salsa from last summer.

You can go here to see our blessing of produce this week!


Ingredients
  • 8 - 14.5 oz Cans of Chopped Tomatoes (or 8-10 large garden tomatoes)
  • 2 med Onions (I like to use white onion because they are sweeter)
  • 2 Green Bell Peppers chopped (this year I did not have bell pepper so I did 1 cucumber and 1 squash)
  • 1/2 cup Carrots chopped - optional
  • 1/2 cup Celery chopped - optional
  • 2 Jalapeno Peppers (keep seeds if you like it a little hotter)
  • 6 Banana Peppers
  • 2 cloves of Garlic or 3tbsp Garlic Garlic (this is what I used)
  • 24 oz Bottle of Hunts Ketchup
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 3/4 cup White Vinegar


First Step

In a food processor chop all vegetables. I like to chop them separately because some items are tender some are hard. You don't want your tender items turning to mush before your hard items are chopped.

When cooking a big batch of items that need chopped I like to use my food processor that my husband bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I know, I know, not a very romantic gift; however, I thought of it as something he thought I needed to make my life easier and to me that was romantic. Now when I get it out it does not make me mad, I am thankful for it and know it will save me a ton of time. I always thank him every time I pull it out!

After everything is chopped dump everything in a pot and simmer uncovered 5-6 hours. Its that simple! This year I did not have time to stay home so I put it in my crock pot and cooked it on low for about 10 hours.
If you're making a full batch you might want to can or freeze in small containers. If you decide to can then follow these steps....
When you're almost finished cooking boil the canning lids and keep them hot.

Sterilize your jars! I like to do this in the dishwasher, its so much easier and no hot water to tend with. Just make sure to keep them hot. I start canning when they are about half way through the dry cycle.

Fill your jars! I have a nice funnel for canning but do you think I could find it, NO! I just used a small measuring cup. Make sure you wipe the rims off before adding the lid.

Using TONGS get your lids out of the hot water and place on your jar. Remember, they will be HOT! Secure ring around lid but don't make it tight. After they cool you can go back and tighten. After an hour check your lids, if they don't have a popping sound when you push in the middle they are sealed. If they do make a noise then they have not sealed. You can put them in a hot bath and seal them or just refrigerate and eat those first or give them away.

It just that easy! Now you have fresh salsa to give to family and friends for the holidays or an appetizer ready for any party. Pour over a block of cream cheese and you're good to go!!
Don't forget to enjoy your hard work!!!

This post has been linked to The Grocery Cart Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment