Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Red Beans & Rice

Red Beans & Rice Southern Style


When I was about 16 my parents went on a trip for two weeks leaving me, my sister (12) and my brother (15) home alone! We could not wait for them to pull out of the driveway! We had a great time but when I look back I am not sure what we did other then shopping, staying up late and going to church! Yep, we were real wild kids! I guess that's why they felt they could leave us alone! While they were away they sent us a post card with this recipe. Living in Louisiana you would think we would eat cajun food often. Nope! My parents were from the mid-west so Cajun cookin was not on the menu. Once we tried the recipe it became my favorite and I still used it today. I made it this week and the pot is empty! Its a cheap and easy meal but you need to plan to be home for a few hours to simmer the beans. I let my beans simmer all day and continue to add seasoning as needed so the flavor is sure to pop.

This is a great recipe to cook on Saturday and enjoy on Sunday! Let me know if you try it!


1lb Small Dark Red Beans
1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
1 Large Onion
1/2 tsp. Basil
1 Cup Chopped Green Onions
2 Bay Leaves
1/4 Cup Chopped Bell Pepper
Salt & Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
1 pkg Smoked Sausage cut into bite size pieces


Place beans in a large pot with enough wather to cover, bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 15 minutes. Cover and let soak overnight. In the morning, bring to another rolling boil, add the next seven ingredients (not sausage), let simmer uncovered for at least 3 hours. Add cold water as needed as well as salt and cayenne. In last hour of cooking add sausage. Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve over fluffy rice with a slice of corn bread! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment