Monday, March 1, 2010

The Greatest of These

When Mark and I were engaged back in the summer of 1994 we were overwhelmed with the negative comments people would make to us regarding marriage. They were joking of course; however, it would always shock us. We've all heard them.."Oh, your going to be tied to a ole ball and chain." "Enjoy your single life, its all down hill after you say I do." It had such an impact on us that during one of our dates he mentioned to me how many people say these negative comments about marriage and I mentioned to him how is was surprising to me too. We made a pact between the two of us that we would not say those things when we met friends who were getting married, but be uplifting at this precious gift from God. Even as a young couple we knew that marriage was a gift from God and one that we wanted to cherish.

We knew we wanted him to be a part of our wedding as well as our marriage. I once heard that inviting God into your marriage is like a little girl braiding her hair. When trying to learn, you start with two strands and twist and turn but the braid always falls out. Once you learn to add the third strand and secure it, the braid becomes tight, full of strength that can weather any storm.

Ecclesiastes 4:12
And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

When you invite Christ into your marriage he is the strength between you and your husband. Is it always easy? No. Do patience run low and misunderstandings cause pain? Yes. Dose it still take work? Yes, Daily. But I know the Lord is there to draw that strand a little tighter knitting our hearts tighter one to another if we just seek Him.

I Corinthians 13: 12-13
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Things will change in marriage and often the glass is dark and we can't see God's plan. I am so thankful that 16 years ago we invited Christ into our marriage because since Mark was laid off 8 months ago, we have been on a new journey in our lives. Having Him as the third strand in our marriage has strengthened the love we have not only for one another but for Christ as well. Today we are resting in faith, hope, charity as we await the unveiling of God's next plan for our lives. Its a comfort to know the greatest of these is charity and we feel His love and rest assured that He is in control.

Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment