Sunday, April 29, 2012

Apple Pie - Baked in an Apple

I love Pinterest!  Don't you?  When I saw this recipe for apple pie baked in an apple I was pinning for sure!  My Dad LOVES apple pie and my Mom is the queen apple pie maker in our family.  You know how it is trying to make it like Mom makes it, it never turns out as good as Mom makes it so I've given up on the apple pie making!  LOL!  When I saw this I thought, ahhh, my own apple pie!  When I read Sarah's post HERE I had a good laugh then thought, well if she can do it, I can do it!  She did a great job on the crust but me, naaa, to much to do today to take the time.  If I was doing it for a holiday sure!  Well, maybe!  :)  Visit Sarah's blog for her recipe, I changed mine up a bit.

 Baked Apple Pie In An Apple

Ingredients
  • 5 Granny Smith Apples - Make sure they can stand alone and not roll over
  • 2 Tsp Cinnamon - Lave the shaker out to sprinkle inside apples
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar ( + additional 2tbsp)
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar ( + additional 2tsp)
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla (optional)
  • Pie Crust (homemade or pre made - me...pre made)
  • 1 Egg (whisk in bowl for wash - optional)
  • Vanilla Ice Cream or Cool Whip - again optional but I mean come on its PIE!!
  • Any other seasonings you like in apple pie...throw them in!
Preheat Oven to 375

Prepare The Apple
  • Wash and remove stickers (yeah, forgot to do that...tee hee)
  • Cut off top of apple - not a lot, just a thin layer
  • Scoop out Insides or as my boys would say...guts - I used a melon ball scoop which worked great!  If you don't have one use a spoon but its best to get the melon ball scoop.  Don't scrape to close to the edge or the bottom because you'll punch a hole and all the yummy juice will drain out.
  • Sprinkle the inside of apple with cinnamon...do as much as you like.  I sprinkle about three shakes
  • Place apples in baking dish
  • Once you've scooped out the inside and thrown away the seeds and core mix apples a bowl with cinnamon, sugars and vanilla
  • Fill Apples with mixture

Crust
  • Since I used pre made crust I just unrolled it, cut it into 4 and draped over apple.  Not shown in photo but I also cut slits in top of crust
  • With whisked egg "paint" top of crust so it turns golden brown
  • Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon (I used 1 tbs Brown Sugar and 1 tsp Cinnamon)
Baking
  • Place apples in a baking dish
  • Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan - I wanted to flavor the water so I added more cinnamon and brown sugar to the water.  I added 1 tbsp Brown Sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon to the pan before adding water
  • Cover with foil and bake 30-35 minutes (you will bake less time if you have smaller apple slices but since I used the melon baller it needed more time)
  • Remove foil and bake and additional 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown


My family was so excited they ate them HOT! 
Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment